Home Safety Tests
To Consider
Mold & Mildew
Water Pollution
Air Pollution
Air Duct Cleaning
Asbestos Hazards
Carbon Monoxide
Radon Gas
Lead Poisoning
   
About Us
Contact Us
Legal
Home Page

(Odorless, Deadly)




We screen homes to test for Carbon Monoxide levels

Below are the things that should done to protect a family from carbon monoxide poisoning...

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, and colorless gas which is caused by incomplete combustion of fossil fuels from

  • Gasoline
  • Kerosene
  • Natural Gas
  • Butane
  • Propane
  • Fuel oil, wood or coal and any other type of fuel.

    It is estimated that carbon monoxide causes as many as 1,000 deaths per year in the United States.

    Carbon monoxide gas can be emitted by
  • Fire places
  • Gas heaters
  • Gas stoves
  • Gas or oil furnaces
  • Wood, coal or gas dryers
  • Gas barbeques

Carbon Monoxide is a lethal gas produced in normal amounts whenever you use an appliance which burns a combustible fuel. Combustible fuels include gas, oil, kerosene, charcoal and wood. When proper ventilation of appliances becomes blocked, carbon monoxide concentrations build up inside your home and become deadly.

Because carbon monoxide is invisible, tasteless and odorless, its victims may never know there is something wrong until it’s too late. It often takes the lives of whole families. Children and the elderly are the first to be overcome along with pets. Over 2,500* people in the United States will die each year of carbon monoxide poisoning and over 10,000 will be hospitalized.

Most victims who lose consciousness may be left with permanent brain damage, mental and speech disorders, vision and hearing impairments, seizures, coma or death.

Carbon Monoxide quickly replaces vital oxygen in the blood which results in suffocation from the inside out. It could take as little as 3 minutes, depending on the level of concentration. Since you cannot see, hear, taste or smell carbon monoxide, the only way to protect your family is to recognize the symptoms and install a carbon monoxide detector.

Symptoms to watch for:
  • headaches, drowsiness, dizzineess an confusion
  • nausea, vomiting and rapid heartbeat
  • unconsciousness, coma and death
  • everyone in the house is feeling ill at the same time
  • it feels as though you have the flu Common Causes of In-Home Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
  • Malfunctioning or improperly vented heaters and furnaces
  • Blocked passageways in chimneys and flues
  • Paint removers which contain methylene chloride and which the body absorbs and converts to carbon monoxide
  • Depressurization in the house (“backdraft”).
Understanding the Meaning of CO Concentrations
  • 9 ppm (0.0009%) Maximum allowable concentration for short term exposure in a living area
  • 35 ppm (0.0035%) Maximum allowable concentrations for continuous exposure in any 8-hour period
  • 400 ppm (0.04%) Frontal or slight headaches within 1-2 hours becoming life threatening after 3 hours
  • 800 ppm (0.08%) Dizziness, nausea and convulsions within 45 minutes. Unconsciousness within 2 hours. Death within 2-3 hours.
  • 1600 ppm (0.16%) Headache, dizziness and nausea within 20 minutes. Death within 1 hour.
  • 3200 ppm (0.32%) Headache, dizziness and nausea in 5-10 minutes. Death within 30 minutes.
  • 6400 ppm (.64%) Headache, dizziness and nausea 1-2 minutes. Death within 10-15 minutes. 12800 ppm (1.28%) Death within 1-3 minutes.

CARBON MONOXIDE TESTING CONDUCTED BY HOME SAFETY INSPECTIONS

The Carbon Monoxide testing device we use contains chemical elements that turn grey when they come in contact with carbon monoxide. They will detect as little as 50 ppm (before it becomes dangerous to a family).

We can also install a carbon monixide detector that is operated electrically (various models available)


Professional Carbon Monoxide Detectors are:
  • Low in cost
  • Adheres to wall or door - or operates using your electrical system
  • Spot turns gray or black when CO is present or rings an alarm
  • Spot returns to original color when air is clean
  • Lasts for three months once opened
  • Electrical systems operate year-round
  • Laboratory tested for accuracy
  • Accurate and reliable results
  • Can also be used in boats, aircraft and RVs and more!

Once we have tested your home or office, we can then make any changes necessary to protect you and your family from further exposure to carbon monoxide.

Download Carbon Monoxide Facts Brochure - Boating Safety

 

CARBON MONOXIDE - SAFETY TIPS!

Chimney Care
Keep chimney free of blockages such as bird nests, leaves, or debris. Clear the path for gas to escape
Gas Ranges
Inefficient cooktop burners or ovens may release carbon monoxide. Vent hoods must be free of clogs
Check your house for possible sources of carbon monoxide.
Fire Place
Natural-gas fire places are a hot home product. But, watch for any unvented pilot lights.
Heaters
Furnaces and water heaters are ignored for months at a time. Check for venting and gas-line leaks regularly.


Certified Mold Inspectors
Alamo, CA (925) 946-2500
License # 020952


Copyright © 2004-2005
Home Safety Inspections
All Rights Reserved.




Any written materials contained on this site which bear the name(s)
of any other organizationare the exclusive property of that organization(s).